Tuesday 2 February 2021

Stripped and Rebuilding to Magnetize

Onward, ever onward, I'm prepping the next batch of combat armour mechs. Yes, for those who ask, this one is a rebuild that I had painted and near completion, but I stripped it because the magnetize everything bug has hit me. I'm sorry, I just can't help it.

Besides, I have learnt so much over the last year of doing these that I'm bringing ideas to fruition that I would never have bothered with before.

And as you can see, I've changed my mind and decided that the open cockpit showing the pilot. This will also clue viewers about the size of my combat armor, and the whole Real-Robo mecha genre.
 
 
 
Besides, as I like to remind myself, it's much easier to commission artists to do covers that convey the size of the machines they're illustrating, made easier if you can give them good pictures to work from.

I'm not just magnetizing the torso, head, and arms to increase poseability for photographs, but also sculpting parts to restore some depth lost when the casting process from damage to molds, or poor metal flow etc. making the end result less sharp looking than it could be.

That's all for now, catch you all on the bounce.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting- much bigger than I had thought.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old RAFM Gears were nominally 1/87th scale, approximately 44/45mm tall, about 1 and 11/16ths inches. The current DP9 version is about 28mm tall, a tad over an inch.

      In practical terms, the model its close enough to 1/100th to work as a stand-in for a 15mm mech, given that there's no prototype to lock down the real size too.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done on the fixes. I've said it before but it deserves saying again that the little brass roll bars/handles are a nice touch as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm remaking them with slightly finer wire, and the open top torso will have some molded on parts replaced with sire too. It really makes that much difference that it's worth the effort that I'll rebuild the roll cage with with while I'm at it.

      No wonder each model takes me so long to finish.

      Delete