Friday 26 February 2021

WIP: Conversion and Repose

Here's the current work in progress shots. Close-ups of the sculpting and pinning done to the middle and right hand mechs above. 

I've not yet finished the right knee on the running mech, and I've only just started cutting and pinning of the other mech on the right; also showing the pins for the base. 

Casting is still a case of practicing with molds and the sculpting mix to get good, clean casts, which is still eluding me.

As you can see above, I mucked up the canvas rolls, which broke when I split the mold. Not sure what I did wrong here as the other pieces were okay.

So that's all for this post. Catch you all on the bounce.

4 comments:

  1. From my experience, the pieces might break if you a) didn't put enough putty in or b) the putty had dried out a bit before joining the two halves together. It also helps if you make the mold a bit wet with a spray can before putting the putty in.
    Nevertheless, I think you have better results than I had so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Making sure the putty is properly mixed is also a thing, especially if like me you're using Milliput and Kneadite together.

      I think you're right that I didn't put enough putty in the mold, but put in too much also causes problems. The answer is probably more practice.

      I've started moistening the molds before filling now. It helps.

      Delete
  2. Do you lubricate the moulds? Out of curiosity, does the excess material bits easily come off or do you basically have to wet/warm the oyumaru to get it off and then reform the mold from the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above, I've started to moisten the molds before filling them.

      The molds are pretty flexible. I just bend them gently and the parts falls out. If you were to reheat the mold it would become unusable.

      Caveat, they're good for two or three casts IMNSHO. I think because working under the bench lights warms the thermoplastic enough to degrade the mold.

      I could be wrong.

      Delete