Friday 26 April 2024

Can't see the Forest for the Trees

So, here it is, the big update, sort of. A breakdown of how my process in making these trees has evolved. Some thoughts and comments, and where I'm going next.

First up. After stripping my previous builds I had to repair one of the trees; as you can see below.


In case it's not obvious, the trunk was covered with homemade liquid Greenstuff (a fifty-fifty mix of Milliput and Greenstuff diluted with methylated spirits to make a paste), and then I glued a Woodland Scenics deciduous tree on top (making a taller tree in the process).

Once I glued the parts, I wrapped some micropore tape around the joint, spread a thin layer of super glue on top, then sprinkled some baking soda on top.

And here is the complete tree repaired in all of its glory.

Below shows how I used hot glue to strengthen the stems of the seafoam. It works, but it is time intensive, and requires a bit of skill to tease the glue along each of the branching stems.

Click to embiggen

And it's not accident proof. I broke a stem when I dropped my tree off the table onto the floor.

However, I then remembered I had some Woodland Scenics Flex Paste, which is some sort of acrylic or silicone paste. It dries hard, yet remains flexible! Worth a try.

I brushed it on all over the seafoam stems and the tree trunks.

I would've used this before, rather than make my own liquid Greenstuff, if I had remembered earlier on in this project that I had a bottle of this tucked away. But, I forgot, as one does.

Besides, I've been working on this project for a month, and my build process has evolved. And this is as far as I've got.

Catch you all on the bounce.

4 comments:

  1. Coming along well and your lovely mechs deserve some nice terrain to move around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learnt so much by making so many mistakes when making these. It has been quite an interesting process learning new skills.

      Delete
  2. Very nice - seafoam does look good but I've never tried it due to the fragility. May have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. Welcome aboard.

      I've refined a process, based on YouTube videos, and by my own trial and error approach.

      I will go through this process in my next post, so that anyone who wants can try it out for themselves.

      Hopefully, this will maximize the chance of getting a good looking and robust result.

      Delete