Wednesday 20 March 2024

Dremel Embuggerance


Those who follow me on Facebook will know that I broke my Dremel. Too much force when using it caused a stall, and it stopped working.

The saga of trying to find a spare rivals one of the greatest tales ever told (only a slight exaggeration). This armature is no longer made, but we have the internet, and I found samples for sale around the world.

Huzzah! All good, right?

Nope. The Australian dealer won't ship internationally, and the Italian dealer can't ship to the UK either, Which sucks.

So I moved to Plan B.

Plan B was to try a physical repair of the damaged commutator, which Susan did, as it required soldering the delicate broken wires together. Afterwards I did the less delicate gluing, and bodging to secure the broken piece so that it won't come apart at 33,000 rpm.


That repaired failed, so now I moving to Plan C and buy a new Dremel.

3 comments:

  1. Bummer but you could reuse it as a spaceship or a power generator for your sci-fi games.
    Never waste anything, I made a WW2 tug out of the base of a broken sodastream.
    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea, but I have enough 'junk' precious parts saved that I will probably not live long enough to complete that I tempted to dispose of it. But, there again, I may change my mind.

      Delete
  2. A note to the spammer DB who posted. about loans from Pedro.

    Not today spammer.

    Not on my watch.

    ReplyDelete