Sunday 29 June 2014

Blast-Tastic Countdown


http://angelbarracks.co.uk/blast.html

I have sent off my details for the two passes I need for this show, and as the site shows there is only 96 days until the show.  So I must carry on painting the miniatures for the Ogre/GEV demo game I'm running.

I've been thinking about how to set up the Ceasefire Collapse scenario to get the maximum number of players around the table.  This means knowing the value of the units, so as to keep the scenario balanced, which is not my usual concern when setting up a wargame, but Ogre scenarios are touted as play test balanced.  So I feel I must remain true to the game's set ups.

However, this has set some thoughts in motion about an article for unbalanced scenarios, which if I get the time and inclination would make a good article for Miniature Wargames.  Don't hold your breath though.
  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun game to run. Are you going to use the actual Ogre Miniatures rules, or use Ogre DE with the minis as counters? I plan on doing the latter when I run an Ogre game at a con this fall.

    Either way, Ceasefire Collapse is the only scenario in the book that can have really symmetrical forces, so you shouldn't have to worry about balance too much--just give each side approximately the same number of minis. Depending on what you have, give each player about a company of armor, a battalion of infantry, or one Ogre.

    You can even appoint each side a "commander"--a player who controls artillery and maybe an HQ company (or cruise missiles and lasers, if you want to make things interesting), but gets to tell the other players what to do--of course, the other players might misinterpret those orders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And an easy way to remember the values is:
    3 infantry squads = 2 light vehicles = 1 regular vehicle = ½ artillery or superheavy

    (and you can look up the values for Ogres in the rulebook)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the very late reply to your comments. Somehow I must have missed them. Thank you again for reading.

      Delete