Monday 13 November 2023

Warfare 2023 Show at Farnborough

For the first time since Covid lockdown in 2020 we've been to a wargame show. We met up with Paul from The Man Cave. He described our conversation as erudite, which is totally flattering given the amount of cussing a typical conversation with me entails.

I looked around the show, but only bought some size 0 Kolinsky sable brushes that were on offer. I saw a lot of bargains, but I need more stuff to paint like I need another hole in my head.


Susan took a picture of me looking at temptation and resisting the urge to buy more stuff. There were plenty of great looking games being run.


Above and below are a couple of pictures of the impressive games on show.

For a full on video showing what we saw, check out Big Lee of Miniature Adventures, who has you covered.

And Susan caught me on camera wondering around the vast hall. As you can see there was a plethora of tournaments games being played on the day too.

And afterwards I gave Paul a lift back to London in my M1009 CUCV Chevy Blazer.


We were blessed with nice weather and had a great day out.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    I was partaking of ale with Paul and Mr Manley yesterday evening! Looked like a great day out and it is show that is on my ‘to do’ list.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time I've been to Warfare at a venue that wasn't the leisure center in Reading too. I felt good afterwards for just getting out and going to a wargame show.

      Delete
  2. Gratitude for the valuable insights you shared. Your post was truly enlightening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, for someone who seems to be really into gardening and their allotment, I imagine that my blog painting toy soldiers and playing games with them must seem totally out there.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It was just nice to socialize like we did in the good old days, before Covid.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on going to the first convention in years! I've yet to do that though not because of pandemic reasons any more. Regardless, I'm glad it was fun. I imagine you thinking "Will that all fit in the trunk of my car?" in the second picture from the top. :) Edit: Apologies for the double post but I didn't realize I wasn't signed in and it posted under anonymous. It's still telling me to check my browser settings after not allowing me to sign in and I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. I deleted the duplicate post. I didn't buy the Aliens game I was looking at not because of cost, it was on sale at a keen price point, but due to the sad realization of how much painting would be needed to play a game that would probably not get played enough to make all the effort worthwhile.

      I live a sad life that way, but on balance my life has lots of joy in it to keep doing what I enjoy doing.

      Delete
    2. The Prodos/Archon minis game or is there a newer one? I liked the previous AVP sculpts but didn't end up getting any before they lost their license. Additionally, I had a bunch of the much older 2005ish AVP heroclix figures and they're actually prepainted relatively well surprisingly so I understand not wanting to dedicate that much time to a side project potentially.

      Delete
    3. It was the Gale Force 9 Aliens game.
      https://www.gf9games.com/aliens/

      Delete